To provide legal and administrative support to the Petersen-Dean, Inc. Legal Department.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage Legal calendar, including but not limited to calendaring court appearances (telephonic and in-person) and law and motion deadlines.
- Check tentative rulings and notify appropriate in-house counsel.
- Review case updates and advise counsel regarding upcoming deadlines including but not limited to discovery and law and motion.
- Review construction defect matters for Northern California and advise Senior Litigation Counsel regarding case updates.
- Responsible for coordinating and/or scheduling client meetings and/or conferences.
- Prepare, edit and proofread correspondence, pleadings, spreadsheets, and other administrative documents.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Complex litigation background is a MUST.
- Previous experience as a legal assistant/secretary at a law firm and ideally within a busy in-house legal department.
- Calendar experience with legal calendaring system e.g. deadlines, including all trial dates, post-trial deadlines, motion and opposition deadlines, discovery deadlines, etc.
- Knowledge of pleading and discovery documents, including ability to type, edit and format legal documents and correspondence (including TOC/TOA Skills).
- Ability to take initiative; organize and prioritize workload and use own judgement in decision making on how to adequately and efficiently meet all deadlines for multiple attorneys; must have the ability to multi-task effectively; work well independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Deadline and detail-oriented.
- Ability to file documents online via various vendors, including compliance with e-filing rules and e-service procedures.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word and Excel and knowledge of Adobe and PDF files.